Sunday 11 November 2012

The Great 'Which Universe Would I Rather Inhabit' Tournament Round 2 Match 1

The Great 'Which Universe Would I Rather Inhabit' Tournament Round 2 Match 1

Round 2


I’d like to start Round 2 by re-iterating what this tournament is about, and what the arguments within can be. It’s not about which is my favourite series, it’s about which Universe I would rather live in, with its laws of physics, magic etc., and the races and lands within. Accepting that I have a mortal life span, and would have to pick just one era to live in, I’m trying to stay away from basing it on the individual people inhabiting that particular universe (except for Ultima, where everyone seems to be alive most of the time the Avatar is there, so I’d be bound to run in to him constantly on my adventures). I’ve not stuck to a particular time frame in the previous rounds, so I’m sticking with that ethos, although I do wonder if that would have given me more focus. Got to keep on as I did before, however, to keep it a clean fight. Maybe at the end of each match I’ll state my favoured time period. Should probably do that for the losers now really then:

Red Dwarf – well, you’d think it would be three million years into deep space as the obvious choice, wouldn’t you? Wroooooooooong. I’m afraid I’m not going to pick a time where there’s no prospect of procreating (Lister becoming his own father doesn’t count. And still doesn’t make sense), so I’m going to opt for the time when Lister goes into stasis and the accident occurs on Red Dwarf. I’ll be a member of a crew on another space ship, and I’ll get to travel the galaxy and see mankind terraform and colonise other planets. Life will be good, and I’ll own a garden with some decking, and therefore all my dreams will come true.

Battlestar Galactica – sod it, I’m going to have been a member of the Galactica’s crew, and I’m going to enjoy living a simple life on Earth. I’m going to sneak some technology with me so I can solar power some equipment, and make sure I can still play Skyrim.

Aliens – I’ve just seen Prometheus, obviously set in the Alien universe, but as I hadn’t when I started this tournament, I won’t let it influence my decision. I’d like to live at the start of humanity’s exploration of the stars in this universe. I’d love to think I’ll manage that in real life.

Terminator – well it’s our universe, Judgement Day gets delayed…I’ll choose to go and live in Tudor times, and become a wandering minstrel. I’ll sing songs of the apocalypse that will happen 500 years in the future, and people will call me a visionary/crazy. Here’s a sample:

                Beware I cry to one and all
                We will commit this sin
                Be vigilent and heed my call
                Don’t let the buggers win

Narnia – I’ll come around just after the Pevensies return home following the first book. I’ll re-write Narnian history and become King, with my wife and child at my side, as is my birthright as a Son of Adam. And it shall be good.

Middle Earth – I’m thinking that I’d arrive neatly at the end of the Third Age with the defeat of Sauron and destruction of the One Ring, as everything seems quite happy and jolly then. Or maybe the First Age where I could give Sauron the middle finger and just warn all the kings that he gave rings to not to wear them, as they’d become a little more transparent with time – ‘because we’d see through their plans?’ you say? Haha! No. As in invisible. Being a king is all about ego, and if your subjects can’t see your face, then where’s the glory?

Firefly – Not having as much of an in-universe history as the rest of those on this list, except for our own history which I’ll avoid this time, I’ll just pick the time frame that we see in the show. Maybe Captain Reynolds would spot me in a public library and decide that’s just what the ship needs.

Doctor Who – Well, In Doctor Who I suppose I’ve got to choose which Doctor’s era would I rather be living in. And that is a very tricky toss-up between David Tennant’s Tenth Doctor, and Matt Smith’s Eleventh Doctor. That’s a future article to debate over I’m sure, and I’m not going to make a choice now, so I’ll just say sometime then. I’m aware that as they time travel, picking any kind of time frame is a little pointless, but The Doctor has his own linear timeline relatively speaking, so it’s still a valid argument.

And with that out of the way, onto Round 2...

Heroes vs Buffy

Universe of I-think-there-was-something-to-do-with-an-eclipse-so-maybe-they’re-solar-based-but-i-gave-up-before-series-4-so-maybe-it-was-explained-better-then based powers vs Universe of powers granted by magic and demons

Ah Heroes, you made it through the first round because you boasted powers and the promise that maybe one day I could have some of my own. Just like you showed promise that you could be one of the best science-fiction shows of all time. Well, you blew that, so will you blow your chance here? As discussed before, there’s a plethora of powers available, and a not entirely unreasonable chance that at some point in the future I could gain some of them (they can’t keep these things under wraps for ever, surely), plus plenty of bad guys to fight against. Really, as a fictional universe, you’re ticking most of the boxes that a geek would love.

But then along comes the Buffyverse, with its ass kicking heroine, its magic-wielding best friend, its variety of demons, and its Spike. Magical powers vs *explanation unavailable but in an alternate future everyone had them* powers. Hordes of demons vs just nasty people.

Oh Buffyverse, you should stroll this one, surely? If only it were a best show competition. You would’ve strolled ages ago. You’d probably be enjoying a celebratory pint by now. But it’s not so clear cut in this tournament, as we’ve discovered several times. I’m going to disregard the ‘demons vs just nasty people’ argument, because although I love fantasy and saving the world as a hero, without the magic/powers then I don’t really have a way of fighting these and I’d probably end up dead pretty quickly if I tried to talk a demon down with sound reasoning and the offer of therapy. I suppose it comes down to whether I would rather have my powers brought on by magic (and let’s be clear – I WOULD be capable of wielding magic, because it’s my tournament) or by random explanation. With magic I’d have to buy all the ingredients and chant stuff (a lot of the time it seems), whereas in the Heroesverse, the powers are just there, ready to be used. But, with magic I can pick and choose the spells (skill dependant, of course). The powers in Heroes seem to be randomly assigned.

Hmm.

Well, in the end, I’ve made a choice. And, despite the close nature of the finish, having weighed up the odds, Buffy takes the victory. There’s just too much chance I’d end up with a stupid power, like the ability to turn myself into a belt, in the Heroesverse. In the Buffyverse I may have to go out and buy the ingredients for the magic, and, you know, be good at it and stuff, but at least I’m making the choices towards it. Plus, as long as I’ve got the methods of fighting them, fantasy creatures are just so much cooler than rich people with too much money.

As for a time period, for both Buffy and Heroes it would just be the contemporary time. 

Winner: Buffy

Red Dwarf
Heroes
Buffy


Heroes
Buffy
Buffy
Battlestar Galactica
Star Wars
Star Wars

Aliens
Elder Scrolls
Elder Scrolls
Terminator
Narnia
Ultima


Ultima
Star Trek
Star Trek
Middle Earth
Firefly
Marvel

Marvel
DC
DC
Doctor Who

No comments:

Post a Comment